Friday, October 9, 2009

Time Well Spent

Well, I was looking for a Winston Churchill quote and I found one...but not the one I was looking for. :-) I like this one though: "No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle." Anyone who has worked (or played!) with horses knows how true that is. Of course, I suppose it could prove false if someone is handling a horse wrong or being unkind to it, but when human becomes one with the horse it's a beautiful thing.

I read somewhere that the horse is the best teacher because it will throw a prince as quickly as it will its groom. (If I find that quote, I'll put it on here too.) On the other hand, horses are also among the most patient of teachers. I haven't had as much riding experience as most "horsepeople," but I can vouch for many a horse that put up with my meager attempts at trying to communicate that they did better than I could have done in their horseshoes!

For my part, I believe God created the horse so that we could experience just such things: patience, beauty, and the unconditional love that only animals seem able to offer. I'm glad that He gave us these awesome creatures and I hope that I ride every time I get on so that no hour of my life is lost that is spent in the saddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment