Sunday, October 11, 2009

Speed

Each leg in its gallop seems to stream with a rush of speed as though from a bucket of water poured o'er the field. ~ Arabian poet

Have you ever watched a horse run? It doesn't seem to matter the breed or size of horse -- there's always something exciting about watching a good gallop. I know a lot of people enjoy riding a good gallop, but for my own part I prefer a nice trot or canter when I'm riding. But oh, how I love to watch them run!

Every horse runs differently. There is something majestic about a beautiful Andalusian or Friesian, looking like an ancient warhorse with mane and tail flying. There's the thrill of seeing a Quarter Horse or Thoroughbred stretched out at top speed, breaking records that other breeds can't come close to matching. There's the heart-stopping thunder of a draft horse pounding across a field and the joyful leap of a pony or small horse hurrying in for supper.

I don't know about you, but whenever I go to feed a friend's horse and I hear galloping hooves, I hurry to the door of the barn so I can see them coming, just for the fun of it! Do you like to watch horses run? Stop and pay attention sometime...how does your horse run?

No comments:

Post a Comment