Monday, October 5, 2009

Secrets

I have a question for you: Do you talk to your horse? While we're at it, do you talk to other people's horses? What about other animals?

I am a firm believer that animals understand at least the sense of what we're saying, and sometimes more. Also, most animals are better listeners than most people, although personality accounts for a great deal of this and can create exceptions in both cases. :-) As a rule, though, horses are good listeners.

I talk to horses. Since I don't have one of my own, this means I talk to other people's horses. Sometimes they pay attention to me; sometimes they don't. This often depends on whether I am close enough to be heard and whether or not they have their heads buried in a feed bucket. ;-)

If you don't talk to horses, I recommend that you try it sometimes. Especially if you're feeling down. Horses have a way of making you feel better. They also like it when you talk while you're working around them. Softly, of course -- nobody, not even a horse, likes to be yelled at. The next time you're working with a horse, especially if you're a little nervous, try talking quietly to them. You may find out that you both settle down...and that makes for a better and happier experience for everyone involved. How true that quote:

"There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." ~ R.S. Surtees: Mr. Sponge's Sporting Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment