Friday, September 25, 2009

A Humbler Equine

In all this talk about horses, let's not forget that this blog is named for Equus -- that is, all kinds of equines. One friend that wrote me back about it mentioned that where she lives in Africa, hardly anyone owns horses. Instead, most people there use donkeys. Also, instead of riding them, they use them for carrying things. For example, she said they have two donkeys at their university that are used for carrying milk from the farm to the cafeteria or marketplace.

Donkeys are very smart and apparently have excellent memories. My friend said these donkeys don't even have to have a person with them; they will still get where they are supposed to go. She even said that if a car comes along on the road they are traveling on, they can get off the side of the road without spilling the milk! Cool critters!

I would like to include some of my favorite quotes in these posts and when my friend wrote me about this, I immediately thought of a poem I once read called The Donkey. I hope you like it too.

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil's walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment